How Can I Get Hired as a Security Guard?
How to Get Hired as a Security GuardIf you are looking for security guard positions, some of the key things you will need to do to get hired include:
- Obtaining your guard card: The CA Department of Consumer Affairs Bureau of Security and Investigative Services (BSIS) mandates a Guard Card for all security guards. This is obtained by taking a basic eight house course. Fortunately, it is possible to obtain a guard card online so the process is easy.
- Applying for registration with BSIS: You will need to submit an online or paper application. Applications are available from the BSIS website. As part of your application, you have to demonstrate you have completed required training. You will also need to submit an application fee and undergo a criminal background check.
- Preparing a comprehensive resume: You will want to detail your credentials, your certification, and any relevant experience to potential employers. Although you can, and should, modify your resume to fit the needs of specific employers, the basics of your resume will be the same for every job you apply for. You want to highlight the specific professional and educational background you have which makes you right for security jobs.
- Completing an additional 32 hours of training: BSIS requires you complete 16 hours of training within 30 days of obtaining a Guard Card or staring work. An additional 16 hours of training have to be completed within six months of either beginning work or earning a guard card.
- Applying for positions: Explore the different industries and decide which security guard positions you want to focus on. Security guards are often required round-the-clock, so you can look for jobs which will fit your desired schedule.