1. When is a security guard card needed?

    In California, if you work for a licensed private patrol operator and you provide services as a security guard; you must be registered by the Bureau of Security and Investigative Services (BSIS) as a security guard.

  2. What do I need to have to apply for a Security Guard card?

    The general requirements for a Security Guard card are as follows:

    • Minimum age is at least 18 years old
    • Must undergo a criminal history background check through the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI); and
    • Must complete the initial 8-hour course of required training in Powers of Arrest and Weapons of Mass Destruction & Terrorism Awareness to apply for a security guard card; then complete the additional training hour requirement as listed:


      40 Hour Security Guard Training Requirement

      When to CompleteTraining Hours Needed
      Initial Training8 Hours
      Training Required within the first 30 days16 Hours
      Training Required within the first six months16 Hours


  3. How long is my security guard card valid for?

    A security guard registration is valid for two years.

  4. How do I verify receipt of my Security Guard application?

    To verify your application, contact BSIS at (916) 322-4000.

  5. When do I need to renew my security guard card?

    Your security guard registration is valid until the day of your expiration date on the card. You will have a 60 days grace period to file for your renewal but penalty fees will apply. If you do not apply for renewal within the 60 days after expiration, you will need to reapply as a new applicant and complete all of your training again.

  6. How do I request a duplicate security guard registration, if it gets lost or it was destroyed or damaged?

    You can request a duplicate registration by submitting an explanation of the circumstances in writing, and pay a $10 fee to BSIS. It will take six to eight weeks to receive the replacement card.

  7. Can a family member give the power to arrest test to a Security Guard registration applicant, for example, a father to a son?

    Yes, they must be licensed or be designated by a licensed authority.

  8. If I move, do I need to notify BSIS?

    Yes, you must let BSIS know within 30 days of an address change. Make sure to include your Security Guard registration #, name, old address, new address, date of birth, and Social Security number. Request must be in writing.

  9. Can I work as Security Guard for more than one employer?

    Yes, you can work for more than one employer

  10. How do I renew my Security Guard registration?

    You can submit a renewal application or letter of request and the appropriate fees for renewal of the security guard registration. Mail the request to:

    Bureau of Security and Investigative Services
    P.O. Box 989002
    West Sacramento, CA 95798-9002

    Renewal Application and fees must be submitted to BSIS prior to the expiration date, it is recommended that it be submitted at least 60-90 days prior to the expiration date. You should submit your renewal request within this timeframe to allow BSIS time to process your renewal and get your renewed registration returned to you.

  11. If I have completed the 832 PC training, will that meet the training requirement for the Security Guard registration?

    No, you must complete the required training credits as outlined in Question 2.

  12. If I am not 18 but am an emancipated minor, can I apply for a Security Guard registration?

    No, you must be 18 years old, the law allows no exceptions to this age requirement.

  13. Do I need to send in a new Security Guard registration application if I change jobs/employer?

    No, your guard registration authorizes you to work as a Security Guard for any Private Patrol Operator or in-house employer.

  14. If I am denied a Security Guard registration, when can I reapply?

    A new application may be submitted one year from the date of denial.

  15. If I am convicted but I receive a 1203.4 dismissal on this conviction, do I still need to report it on my application?

    Yes, all convictions must be reported.