The Bureau would like to update its licensees on the following issues:
1. Disciplinary Review Committees: The Bureau is looking into ways to coordinate hearings in accordance with Bagley-Keene and Governor Newsom’s Executive Orders. To date, the Bureau will not be scheduling any hearings during the month of April and will reevaluate conditions in May.
2. Firearms Initial Permits/Assessment Deadlines: The Bureau understands that there are applicants with Firearms Assessment eligibility deadlines on or after March 20 that were unable to schedule to take the Assessment due to PSI closures. Assessment eligibility deadlines that are on or after March 20 will be extended 60 days, as long as the application is not expired. Please note below that PSI is opening under limited conditions for the Assessment.
3. Firearms Renewal Permits: With the closure of many firing ranges, it has become difficult to obtain range qualifications during this time. The Bureau is working with the DCA Leadership team to identify any waivers for the Bureau that fall under the Governor’s Executive Orders. Stay tuned for more information on this issue.
4. Exposed/Open Carry While Permits Are Pending: We have received reports that licensees have heard BSIS is allowing firearms applicants to expose/open carry while their permits are pending. This is NOT true; we are not allowing this. At this time, you still must wait until your permit is approved before carrying a firearm while on duty as a BSIS licensee.
5. Firearms Assessment and Private Patrol Operator (PPO) Qualified Manager (QM) Examination Sites: Some PSI test administration centers for the Firearms Assessment and the PPO QM Examination have temporarily reopened under limited conditions. The open sites are as follows, and most will be open on Tuesdays and Thursdays:
– Sacramento: 8950 Cal Center Dr, Suite 158, Sacramento, CA 95826
– Redding: 2861 Churn Creek, Unit C, Redding, CA 96002
– San Francisco: 150 Executive Park Blvd, Suite 2400, San Francisco, CA 94134
– Lawndale: The Baytower Corporate Center: 15901 Hawthorne Blvd, Suite 330, Lawndale, CA 90260
– Agoura Hills: 30851 Agoura Rd, Suite 302, Agoura Hills, CA 91301
NOTE: If you received a Notice of Eligibility for the Firearms Assessment or PPO QM Examination, and would like to move forward with taking the exams, please follow the instructions provided to you in the letters received.
6. BreEZe “Splash” Page: The initial page when you access BreEZe has information about waivers granted by the DCA director under Governor Newsom’s Executive Order N-39-20. These waivers apply to licensees in Division 2 of the Business and Professions Code. This does not apply to BSIS licensees. If and when we receive relief from the Governor for our licensees, we will send another email blast and publish a notice on the Bureau’s website.
7. Expediting Applications for Security Guards: We understand that there is an increased need in some areas for more licensed security guards, and BSIS is accepting requests to expedite security guard applications.
Requests to Expedite:
Submit the following required information to Lynne.Andres@dca.ca.gov
1. LAST NAME, FIRST NAME
2. Date of Birth
3. Social Security Number
4. ATI number (located on the bottom of the specified Live Scan Form)
IMPORTANT: Requests for 2 or more applications MUST be submitted via excel spreadsheet with all the required information.
Please note that expedited requests are completed in the order in which they are received. Submitting your request does not automatically ensure licensure. Deficient applications and DOJ/FBI fingerprint response delays can increase overall processing times.
As always, we want to emphasize that our online initial and renewal license processes are much faster than paper applications. We are still accepting paper applications, however please note that our online processing times are usually weeks faster. See our processing times here: https://www.bsis.ca.gov/forms_pubs/app_processing_timeframes.shtml